Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Shopping American Style...

I went shopping on Monday with two dear friends who have been over to Romania with us and I had such a wonderful time. We bought all kinds of clothes for our kids at the orphanage. It was so much fun picking out little dresses for "my girls" and overalls for the boys. I even found some outfits for my grand babies! The kids in Romania will enjoy the clothes but they'll enjoy the water balloons, freezer pops and Kool-Aid even more. These are things that you never see over there and they just love water balloons!

I'm always overwhelmed at just how much we as Americans have at our disposal. From grocery stores to clothing departments to fast food and even book stores, we have to only look to the left or right of us and there is everything we need! I always wonder what the reaction of my teen aged girls in Romania would be if they were brought to one of our Malls? I'm sure they would think it was real close to being in Heaven!

I heard a story of a man from a very small island off of the Philippines who walked into a Super Wal-Mart and just started crying...when asked why he cried he replied that it was more food than his whole island would see in all of their life times together! It shouldn't make us feel bad or guilty that we have so much, but I do think that we should take time to thank God that he has blessed us so greatly. Believe me when I say that there is no place I love more than America. It may not be perfect and we may have some problems but it's MY country and I am very proud to be an American.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I just got around to reading this today. I had so much fun on our shopping adventure, that I wanted it to continue for a few days! I'm so glad that we've had the time to develop a wonderful friendship, but then that just makes me miss you even more! Brenda